Open call - Winter Solstice 2017
fredag 22. september kl. 02:00 på Vandaler Forening og ti andre tidspunkter
OPEN CALL WINTER SOLSTICE 2017
All genres within the experimental//contemporary/innovative/conceptual/radical realm are invited to apply.
We are especially interested by highlighting PERFORMATIVE, COLLABORATIVE, EXPERIMENTAL and TIME-BASED practices.
No time limit, except for stage concerts: 30min max.
WS 2017 will be organised in collaboraton with EDGE OF WRONG & NOTAM
INTERESTED? READ INFORMATION CAREFULLY!!!!
- DATE: 16.12.2017
- TIME: 22h-09h
- LOCATION: Oslo, both indoors and outdoors, exact space TBC
- OVERLAPPING PROGRAMS: exhibition + concerts + performances + video-art screening (back to back)
- EQUIPMENT: (stage) basic PA system + 2 sound technicians + spotlights, 1 projector
(exhibition) spotlights, diverse tools and materials
(video screening) projector and speakers
- TRANSPORT: transport of your equipment/art works on request
- PREPARATION: you are responsible for installing your work.
- SOUNCHECKS: 15.12.2017
- MANDATORY 1: you have to be present during the event (except for video program participants)
- MANDATORY 2: volunteer work is requested (help with installing, cleaning, cooking and serving food), flexibility and kindness
- BUDGET: no fees but production money can be attributed depending on this year’s fundings.
- accommodation and national/international flight tickets can be supported depending on this year’s fundings.
WARNING: overlapping programs – no schedule is provided to the audience free entrance and food (grilled lamb and vegan soups) – this is NOT a kid friendly event (with rare exceptions)
HOW TO SEND YOUR APPLICATION?
- SHORT description of your project with technical aspects and time-frame for installing, logistics etc.
- NO CV NO BIO NO PORTFOLIO THANKS
- Send email to: email@example.com
with object “SOLSTICE 2017”
WHAT IS THE WINTER SOLSTICE?
The Winter Solstice is a night exhibition and cultural event happening in Oslo during the longest night of the year, initiated in 2012 by the artist Hanan Benammar.
It lasts the whole night, where several overlapping programs are taking places until sunrise.
The event aims to gather the local audience around various practices of both emerging and established artists, national and international, offering a unique opportunity to experience art works through the night combined with concerts performances, poetry readings, plays and even yoga sessions.
Since its beginning in 2012, the event has gathered over 130 different artists and performers. Many of the works were presented at the Winter Solstice for the first time and later shown again in prominent art exhibitions. Our event therefore functions clearly as a space of “pro-ject”: as throwing something towards the future.
We especially put an effort in highlighting experimental and time-based practices.
The Winter Solstice is a roaming event. Indeed, each year we aim to engage with a new space, offering the artists and the public an other context to experiment. The previous years, we have been exhibiting at ANX/Pnek, Norsk Billedhogger Forening, Vandaler forening and a factory in Nydalen.
Because hospitality and conviviality is one of the most important characteristic of the event, the entrance and food are free.
There is 200 to 300 visitors each year.
FROM DUSK TIL DAWN ART PRIZE
After 4 years of collaboration, PNEK and Vandaler Forening finally launched in 2015 “From Dusk till Dawn PNEK Art Prize” which aims to support and encourage experimental and time-based practices that take on the challenge to keep us awake and focused till sunrise, stretching the darkness of the longest night of the year into a state of dream, utopia and poetry.
One or several artists based in Norway are rewarded each year.
Partners and supports 2012-16: Production Network for Electronic Arts in Norway (PNEK), Dans for Voksne, Notam, Kulturradet, Kulturetaten